Monday, March 16, 2009

Expect the Unexpected

OK - many of you know by now that I (Susan) lead worship part-time at our church in Zurich. So this post will have nothing to do with skiing. Although I went Fri. & Sat. and had a fine time, thank you very much.

Yesterday (Sunday), it was a good thing that God showed up for church because if it hadn't been for Him, it would have been a train-wreck.

I don't possess the necessary qualifications to be a Worship leader. I'm inadequate. I don't play an instrument, I don't conduct, I am not TRAINED for this. But, I can sing on-key (usually :) ) and I'm willing.

Due to the crazy schedules involved with people at the church, we don't practice during the week. We practice before church and thus don't have much room for the unexpected. I prepare during the week so we can utilize this time to the best of our ability.

Sunday - showed up early as we are going to introduce a new song. But - no one has the key. Various people are traveling for work, some sick and well, there just aren't that many people with keys to the church. By time we got in, we had 40 min. to practice instead of 1 hr 10 min. And, I learn our pianist woke up with a fever and wouldn't be coming. And the other guitarist never made it.

We had to scrap one song as it really needed the piano (or drum) for percussion/timing.

I was a little stressed. One guitar - and he didn't plan on playing solo and felt stressed too.

Our quick practice went OK. And opening song went OK. But after announcements, etc... we were ready to start the Worship songs with a new song. Of which our guitarist only gave me the opening chord. In the key of G - per the written music but too high to feel natural. So even though I heard the G, what came out was a more natural (for me) D. My cohorts missed it too. Yikes!

So I stopped everything. Our service leader had already pointed out the verse "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

I repeated that verse and let our congregation know - it was a difficult morning. I appreciated their patience. They know we all volunteer. I did not have to hide the struggle and pretend to be a flawless professional. We started again and found our notes by the second word. HELLO!

I will not be leading that song again without a piano. :) Preferably in a lower key. They haven't fired me yet.

"Be anxious for nothing.." If I let making mistakes in front of people get to me, there are many things I wouldn't do. I wouldn't be leading music in church, I wouldn't speak German with my neighbors, I wouldn't have the courage to move to another country or try new things.

When we are willing, God gives us Grace in spite of our mistakes. He wants to do this. He wants us to have peace in spite of the craziness of our world today. For us to rely on Him, not on ourselves or in other people.

We are still waiting to find out whether we are returning to the States this summer or not. I'll be honest - it's getting stressful. But we are willing to accept whatever decision is made. They just need to make it. It is hard waiting - for months, and months and.... There are many decisions we have to put off until we know. We hope we make the right decisions in the process.

"Be anxious for nothing, but in EVERYTHING..." So that is my mantra for the week. My meditation verses.

Enjoy your day. Don't let the unexpected discourage you. Rejoice in the sunshine, health, family - whatever good thing you find today!

4 comments:

Judy said...

Susan -- I can relate. I've never LED worship but have sang on the worship team for 7 or so years. Some Sunday mornings are harder than others. Our previous pastor always told us "This isn't a performance." I always tell myself that and that it's not about me. It's all about God and out heart attitude towards Him and giving Him worship. I'm even less gifted than you (I doubt Kevin D. would think I was good enough to be on his team), but I am grateful for the opportunity. I try and I pray it pleases God.

Judy said...

I hope my previous comment didn't sound pompous. Didn't intend that. Sorry.

Olson Family said...

Judy - didn't sound pompous at all. And in spite of the willingness - I just wanted it to be OVER. :))))))
Oh, you have to laugh sometimes - and God does His work in spite of our human failings.

Sarah said...

I can't believe that it is almost time for you to find out if you're staying there or leaving to come back to the states. Wasn't it just yesterday that we were sitting in Bible study and you were talking about the door that was open in front of you? Wow.

"Be anxious about nothing..."

Love and miss you!