Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Random Things

I know a friend/blogger who just posts random things going on in their lives. This helps when one doesn't have the capacity (not saying you don't M! I think you know who you are) to construct a complete story or paragraph or maybe even a thought. I confess to needing "time to think" when I write.

Bart asked the other night as I sat staring into space in front of the computer "What are you doing?!" I replied "Nothing. I'm thinking! I do that occasionally."

So here's to Random happenings in our household:
  • We had Kendra's Birthday party for friends last week. Late - due to her Birthday falling over the Fall Break and there being School functions scheduled for 2 consecutive weekends afterward. So, for the party, I had a friend's high school age daughter help out with the 11 young ladies. This was great! So great in fact that when I happened to run into my bedroom for something, I caught Bart lying down on our bed! Oh, he tried to talk his way out of that "just for a minute" but I promised I would be posting on the Blog so - HaH!

  • I've been spending more time with real, live people and less time with my computer. It required more time and effort but in the long run will be more rewarding. I think?
  • Volunteering in elementary classrooms reminds me why I thank God for my friends who are teachers and why I chose to become an Accountant.
  • Poor spelling can drive me crazy. I told my mom this and she says "yeah, I sometimes catch errors on your blog." So do I and I'm a--l enuf to go back and fix 'em when I sea thim. Otherwise, they (errors) can stay put. I don't claim to be perfekt. FYI - spelling that is proper in the Queen's English (GB) or German isn't considered an error - even when mixed with American English. It's my Blog and I get to make the rules.
  • I attended a global day of prayer for Moms in Touch on Saturday. This is know in the German speaking world as Muetter in Kontakt. It was the Swiss German gathering and while not large, very encouraging. AND, we sang worship songs in German. Tongue twisters! But very cool to see that, while we speak a different language, we are saying the same thing.
  • I have more cow pictures! Because that sweet little baby and his extended family were just down the street from us for a whole week. His cousin stuck his tongue out at me - I'll have to post pictures later.
  • UBS called to find out what they were supposed to do with our wire transfer from the States. Perhaps - deposit it please in our Swiss Bank Account! Oh my, they're feeling touchy. I'd just like to pay the rent.

  • Just signed a dozen pages on our Swiss Tax returns and popped them in the mail. They are somehow able to extract plenty of money from their citizens/residents with half the paperwork required in the US. As a former tax preparer, I do think our tax system could use an overhaul but I wouldn't hire the current administration to do it. How many pages is the HealthCareReform Act reported to be?
  • My Dr. has confirmed I have Golf/Tennis elbow even though I play neither. I allowed it was probably from gardening and as he started "Well, the next time you wish to garden..." I blurted out "I hired a gardener" - He and I had a good laugh!

  • My Dr. also gave me a prescription for a new knee brace for skiing - Yeah. I decided after last season that my 14 yr old "custom" brace has seen it's last days.
  • My sister Deb just got a part-time college teaching job! Congratulations!!! Yes, she's still at her other full-time job but wanted to try this after she completed her MBA. Of the 3 of us girls, she's probably the last one anybody would have picked to be a teacher 20+ yrs ago. Thing is - she'd be the best at it.

  • Mom and friend C arrive on Sunday for a week - Fun!
  • Contemplating flu shots for girls - they aren't available for general public in most Canton's yet - only for person's "at risk." We'll be with "at-risk" relatives in Dec. which is why we're contemplating the vaccination.
  • Latest controversial vote/poster issue in Switzerland (re: Minarets) can be read about on SwissInfo (English) as I decided not to post the picture itself on our family blog. Link at: www.swissinfo.ch/eng/specials/minaret_debate/index.html?siteSect=23250 We are constantly explaining political posters in this country to the kids. Another part of their education.



3 comments:

Makila said...

I loved the list! :)

Olson Family said...

I thought you might!

Susan said...

Looking here every so often to see if there are new photos of your adventures! Hope you've had a good week.