Thursday, October 18, 2007

There are Days.....

There are days when you wonder what universe you've found yourself in. It always takes me a day or two to re-orient myself at home when we get back from a trip. After 7 days in Italy saying Grazi and Buon Giorno (ignore my spellings - they are phonetic and from the German alpha at this point), it takes me a day or so to get back to Danke and Gruetzi - not to mention a host of other things. But getting all that laundry, grocery shopping and housework done after an absence helps - I'm sure - doesn't it?

So yesterday I find myself greatly annoyed by the cows up the hill. They are really cute and fun when they are up in the Alps with their bells on BUT when they are practically in your backyard and won't shut up for 2 hrs it starts to get on your nerves. Won't someone please feed them as the grassy fields are apparently unsatisfying? Or should I have wandered up to see if we had a new member of the herd? You know the Away in the Manger verse where it says "the cattle are lowing, the poor baby wakes" - I know why the baby Jesus woke up! Holy Cow!

And we also were made aware of this very important news item - Miss Switzerland 2007 has been crowned! She feels her job is very important as Switzerland is mainly known right now only for Federer and the Alinghi win of the America's Cup. But in the same sentence they announce her name and where she's from (St. Gallen if you care - they make really good bratwurst there!); they give her height (1.68m) and measurements (84-65-95 cm - Kudo's to any who care to comment with these translated into inches - I just know they are not mine!). And then - Gasp - it is reported that she is the first brunette to win in 4 years - Yeah! Go Brunettes! HELLOOOOO! But this is in a country whose women got the right to vote in 1971 - yes, 1971 - only 36 yrs ago! All Bart and I could do was shake our heads and laugh - sometimes you wonder.

And 7 years ago today, I was laying in recovery at this time, looking at our new little girl who would be named Kendra by days end. They are getting so big, so fast. She is so funny - last night prayed that she would have a "stupendous" Birthday - complete with large hand motions. So will post a pic of Bday girl later. Ciao!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Natalie's kindred friend! So my late birthday gift for Rachel was more like an early gift for Kendra?!?!? But you are always close to our hearts and prayers, no matter how off I am on everyone's birthday! I miss you and wish you were here to have cup of something warm and chat on this cold rainy Iowa day (OK, actually it's been a week!) Loved the cow comments! Moosic to my ears!!! LOVE YOU GUYS!

Sarah said...

Great, great post, Susan (as usual!).

So my only thought right now is...were the blondes true blondes or brunettes in hiding? Yes, it is late and I need to be in bed, not pondering such deep things...

Happy birthday to Kendra! Hope that it is as stupendous as she prayed for. :) That is beyond precious.

Olson Family said...

Oh Sarah - Judging from the number of hair salons in this country (and the tell tale roots), my guess is there were some blonde's in hiding :).

Thanks for all Bday wishes for Kendra - her "Jungle" party is tonight and I must finish masks, decorate w/ vines..... must get busy!

Anonymous said...

if i were there i'd be a gorilla and aunt kris would be a mouse